my hobby

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

my hobby : Turn Your Hobby Into a Fun Home-Business

Having a hobby is great fun and a rewarding way to explore your own creative abilities. Though you may not be convinced of it, you do have a God-given talent within you. Everyone does! It only needs to be discovered and developed!

The world is full of variety and no two persons are exactly alike, each of us is a unique individual, and as such, has something special to offer. The different combination of personality, environment, experiences and interests that you have, work together to create you, and only you. There is no other person on earth exactly like you. Not a twin or even (heaven forbid) a clone . Though these people may have the same DNA, they cannot have the same exact experiences, therefore, they are different from you. Your interests may be similar, but the way you develop as an individual will determine how you express yourself and the hobbies you're likely to explore.

I was exposed to a lot of music while I was growing up. My parents would often put a Glen Miller, or Frank Sinatra album on the hi-fi while we were working around the house. Sometimes I would find them dancing in the living room. My oldest brother loved jazz and folk music. My other brother played the drums and was a rock n' roll fan. My grandfather sang and played the harmonica. My grandmother was a piano teacher. In the early 1900's my grandparents enjoyed performing in vaudville shows together.

So, you might say my gene pool, as well as my environment, were musically influenced. As a result I sang in choir throughout my shool years. When I was 15 years old I began playing the guitar and writing songs as a hobby. Poetry was another creative avenue I explored. The experiences I had growing up during the turbulent '60s and early '70s also influenced my way of thinking and the development of my musical style. Though it may be similar to others of that era, it is uniquely my own.

You my be wondering what your particular talent(s), or gift(s), may be. How do you discover and develop your own hobby? Here are some ideas:

Consider Your Interests

sports, art, music, animals, books, cooking, theology, crafts, cars, science, horticulture, hiking...



Consider Your Background Environment

early childhood experiences and development, family traits, things you enjoyed doing as a child



Consider Your Personality

likes & dislikes, behaviour patterns, reactions to particular situations... What makes you happy? Sad? Angry? Compassionate? What motivates you?



Consider Your Strengths and Weaknesses

what are you good at? what do you find difficult?



Write down your discoveries, then look for a pattern to emerge. There may be several traits or areas of interest that unfold before your eyes. Try to determine Which area you are most strongly drawn to. If more than one, can they be combined?

As I shared earlier, I like to sing and write, especially poems and song lyrics. I love music and playing the guitar. These hobbies obviously combine very nicely. I also have a knack for teaching and am a self-starter. My curiousity drives me to explore and learn new things. All of these traits combined together have helped me turn my hobby into a work-at-home business. I am a private guitar teacher. I also created my own website which has provided me with new opportunities and additional income through google ads and affiliate programs. My hobby led me to discover the perfect job match for my personality type, skills, and interests!

There is a hobby, a creative spark, lying within you that is just waiting to be discovered. Your gift can add new meaning and depth to your life, but it needs to be opened, unwrapped, and developed for this to happen. Take a class, read a "how to" book, surf the net, or take some lessons in order to increase your knowledge and build your skills. Don't let the world and it's everyday distractions keep you from enjoying who you were made to be. Take a short break from your routine. Open your gift. Turn a new page in your life story. Time is short, so why not make the most of it today?

By Kathy Unruh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home