my hobby

Monday, September 11, 2006

my hobby : Joy of Collecting Autographed Books

There is something about an autograph that excites me to no end.

It's almost like holding life pulse of the person who created that signature with his or her own hand.

When I look at the glorious imperfections of a signature I immediately feel a strange connection between the hand that created that signal and myself.

It is almost like a bridge is erected instantly between the past and the present and something moves across.

The feeling is especially strong if the signature belongs to the author of the book that I'm holding in my hands.

Writing a book is tough.

Although I've written probably thousands of articles in my life I still haven't written a single book because I did not have the discipline, desire and monetary incentive to write one.

Thus I have a lot of respect for anyone who writes a book.

That's why my principal sentiment in holding a book in my hands has always been one of GREAT REVERENCE.

And that's also why I always had a very hard time in parting with my old books even when I was sure I'd never read them again.

Autographed books always make me feel like I am being treated to a privileged meeting with the author.

And when I discovered that some autographed books also brought a lot of cash in the market, I'll be honest with you, that did not make me feel any worse either.

Today I cherish the small collection of autographed books I have in my library, some of which have really interesting stories behind them.

Perhaps the strangest of them all is one that I got for FREE, by rescuing it from the trash bin of a public library! (It is 100% true.)

One day as I was visiting a public library not too far away from my home I saw librarians throwing away large stacks of withdrawn books into the dumpster. When I asked if I could take a peek, they told me I was free to help myself to any that I liked.

And guess what did I find after a few minutes of pecking my way through the heap? An interesting book on wines and wineries. Hmmm...

When I opened the book, I was really shocked because it was autographed, with an inscription scribbled for a friend, by none other than Baron Philip Rothschild of Bordeaux, France! Lord -- what are chances of that ever happening again?!

I have another book in my collection about Wendy's fast food empire and written by its founder Dave Thomas.

I've bought it for only 50 cents at a book sale when I noticed that there was a handwritten inscription inside, addressed to someone addressed as a “son,” and then signed simply as “Dave”!

To this date I'm almost sure this is the handwriting of Wendy's founder Dave Thomas who died in 2002. I'd love to verify that for sure some day.

I thought about the strange predicament of the book that a very important business leader has signed for someone that he obviously cared a great deal about.

And that someone, somehow, gave this precious book away to the library.

What happened in between? Who knows. Perhaps it's a story longer and sadder than I ever need to know. But I'm keeping “Dave's book” with me till I die for sure. Dave, it's in good hands now.

I have a dozen other similar stories about the autographed books I've collected over the years, some for free, and some for just a few bucks.

If you love books and autographs, the next time you are at a yard or book sale, just look carefully inside them volumes. You may go back home with a precious gem to warm your heart and illuminate your mind for years to come.
my hobby


By Ugur Akinci

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home